Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Selective Amnesia??

I read this in the Times of India, and found it worth thinking it over. This was in a section called mind over matter, which i always pay a lot of attention to. I guess I am pretty true to my species! I mean the female species, not the human. The symbol that represents the females, that has a circle above a cross sign signifies the superiority of spirit over matter. And that is exactly the way I am.

There was an article which said that someone (i really can't recall exactly who!) has suggested deletion of certain parts of ancient scriptures because they are derogatory. The person also claims the support of sankaracharya of a particular mutt and they are seeking support of sankaracharyas of other mutts as well.

Tulsidas quotes "Dhol gawar shudra pashu nari, yeh sab taaran ke adhikari". Which translates to - Drums, illiterate, Dalits and Women are all meant to be beaten. Another scripture prohibits he listening of vedas by the dalits, and says that the punishment for the dalits if found listening to the holy texts is poring molten lead into their ears! If they are found chanting the holy scriptures and shlokas there tongues should be cut off!

These definitely are not fit for the society that exists today, and its a pity that these were actually practiced at some time.... but is deletion of parts of ancient texts a solution to any problem? This is the height of political correctness. If the man (who suggested this), and the sankaracharyas actually want to work for the cause of the upliftment of women, and the weaker parts of the society, they should understand what and why the history was like it was, and why and how should the society change for better now. They must think of doing something in the present- in the now- and not try changing the past.

Superiority is not in being superior to someone else, but being superior to your own previous self. Its too easy to say that you want to reform the society, what counts is the action. I have this Dennis poster in my room that says "Action speak louder than words... Prove your worth!" how true!

Throw in your comments

Love
Devil's own

14 comments:

Arjun said...

Yeah Sure.
Sometimes I do feel a lot like dhol gawar shudra pashu (not nari..) in the college! The society has changed but the ideology hasnt. Women are not exploited much now... but poor are! What america's doing now is, in principle, the same thing what the british did at the time of the rising.

codeextracts said...

Yea.. very true!

Don't just talk, walk the talk!

Such a deletion also took place in some Tourism booklet of some state in India where they cut away the description of a historical temple that had 'sati' in relation with it, something to do with its history. In my personal opinion, such things don't help much.

And those lines you quoted about superiority are so true! ..nice blog.

Nidhi said...

hi neon!
Hey... why do you feel that way???? i really couldnt get you! tell me more. Women are definitely not exlpoited the way they were used to, but the basic ideologies remain the same. We can only see what happens in our homes, and the way we have lived we begin to think that this is the way the whole world lives.
May be in a subtler manner now, bt not just the poor, women are still exploited.and hey... dont get any ideas that i am a feminist or something!:)And the guys who suggested deletion of the ancient texts wanted to show tht the wanted to uplift the society... what i wanted to say is that tampering with the ramcharitmanas is not the solution!
And tell me more about the Brit and the rising.
Thanks for your opinion! Hey keep your comments coming!
Adios

Nidhi said...

Hey there fictional reality....
Nice id... b4 i respond to yr comment, here's something for you....
Fiction is truth told at a slant...If the truth doesn't work try fiction! What say?!
Thanks for the appreciation, and thanks for he information, i dint know that! So these things have been happening too long huh? bad!!!
Did they actually remove the sati part of the description ki it ws just a suggestion?
Keep Posted!
Ciao

Nidhi said...

hey taggy!
This is something i completely dont agree with. The future generations and the present one should definitely know what the state of the indian society was at a time. The racharitmanas and the like are the ancient scriptures of our country, and deleting sections of them isn't a really wise idea. It is really great if the indian society has progressed and this is not the case now. Learn rom the past, mistakes, or history or whatever you want to call it and improve on it. Deleting the parts won't change the fact that they were written, and were followed! It is now that we think of something like that as a crime, at that point of time that was pretty normal. And let the texts remains, the being of them doesnt force you to believe in or follow them. It's a personal choice. It is just like the architects of today not approving of the design of a part of the taj mahal, and thus modifying it in a more modern way. This won't be really wise right? So let the past remain. Just think of the present and the future!
Tell me what you think
I appreciate your comments.
Keep 'em coming.
Adios

Nidhi said...

The right thing to do is realise that what is written shouldnt be done, and improve.... deleting them won't help....
Thus the title.... selective amnesia!

Unknown said...

I wandered amongst the pages of this blogger site and found yours. I find a strange sort of kinship to you, with being called an indian, when I am Native American Indian. We are a matrilinial society still, here in the Pacific Northwest. I mean us Athabascan's. Women rule our society and elect the men to do the work, but even amongst the main society of America it is known that the real power belongs to the woman behind the throne! My favorite bumber sticker says: Love my Country, but FEAR my government! I send you my peace!
Sonny

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was reading the description of yourself under Welcome To My World and I felt like I was reading my own thoughts. I am 2 decades your senior and have these exact same feelings - I even noticed the first favorite book you note is by the same author I chose.

I dont bookmark many blogs, but I am curious to see where your life will lead you and who you will become.

Regards
Denise

kiki said...

Hi, come to Lithuania ...

rhein said...

"it is mercy, compassion, forgiveness i lack, not rationality." i love that.

Nidhi said...

Dear Intrepid soul
Hi. wow, thanks! I am overwhelmed to think that a person so much my senior can relate to me this way. i saw your blog too. Nice. Thanks for the comment. See ya.

Nidhi said...

Hey sonny.
I checked out your blog. Nice to know we are of a kind. Thanks.Keep Posted.
Cheers!

Nidhi said...

Hey sigita.
I am not sure how i should address you, you are so many years my senior. Thanks for the response. I havent been out of my country at all. Let's see, if we ever run into each other.
Regards

Shalinder Verma said...

Hi Read your blog - quite interesting, but I thought I would share with you something.. lot of people misquote this shloka -

dhol gawaar..

pls refer to this link page# 21 and 22.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5em1y2PczVgC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=tulsidas+dhol&source=web&ots=RcH0ZX178e&sig=s1yA5KppKzjkXfSO4HI_W8hLsbk#PPA21,M1

Thanks