Monday, August 01, 2005

The Diary of a Young Girl

Hi all

I have been reading The diary of a young girl by Anne Frank. It's pretty interesting and you read atleast something in every book you read that makes your mind tick. I found so many things about Anne that were like me, but ofcourse so many more which were nothing like me.
For those of you who do not know, I'll introduce you to the book. It has been written during the second world war from 1942 to 1944. A young jewish girl (Anne) gets a diary as a present on her birthday and begins writing in it. She is popular among friends, and has boys always asking her out. She has atleast 20 people to call friends, but still there's no body who she can confide in, no body with who she can talk about her thought. Her friends are too childish for her. So she chooses her diary to talk to.

She talks about the conditions that were being faced by jews around her. She lives in Holland. Although her family is quite well off, and is living in better conditions than millions of people. The family makes preparations to go into hiding. Most of the things that they would require to live comfortably are sent through friends and relatives to the place where they later went to hide in. The franks (anne's family) move in there with another family called the van dans. Its amazing how despite the war, and presence of more important issues to deal with, there still are bitter arguments and disagreements over such petty things, both within and among the families. They still are fighting over whose crockery and china would be used.
But also, inspite of the conditions they are living in they celebrate birthdays and holidays, and give each other whatever little presents they can manage to get. Still celebrating the good things in life. But the horror of being killed at anytime still remains in their minds.
In her family, there's her father and her mother, and her elder siser Margot. Margot is more beautiful, more attractive, more sensible, well mannered, and is loved by everyone. Anne loves her sister, but sometimes feels the need to be appreciated herself. Her sister is more passive, and anne is more frank and forthright.

I guess this is enough about the book.

Now...

I had been feeling miserable, and i even cried. Why is not important here. My friend was trying to make me feel better, and she talked about another friend of mine who is facing a really bad time, and is in a soup.

You must have definitely heard something like .... i cried that i had no shoes, until i met a man who had no feet. Well sounds touchy, and does make sense. especially when you compare shoes and feet. But when you are actually feeling blue, things like these don't help.
Atleast they don't help me.

To think of this, i feel how selfish can I get? the other person, cant even get a good night's sleep, and i am getting all worked up about my little worries.

Now why I talked about the book was this,
there was a part in the book, where a lady talks to anne's mother about something that was troubling her, to which she replied think abt all the misery that the people are facing bcoz of the war, think of the misery in th world and thank god you are not a part of it. we are so much better here.

Anne wrote in her diary, that it is of no help thinking of misery when you are miserable yourself.
This one sentence made so much sense to me, that i sat thinking about it, and related it to myself, and that day, when i thought myself to be so selfish.
I'll read on, and tell you if i come across something else interesting.

Keep your comments coming. Tell me what you thing of this, and do tell me if you also read something or watched something happen, or tv,which got you thinking, or got u a new perspective. I'll post it as a blog here.

Ciao
Love,
Devil's own

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, thanks taggy. no, this is actually quite appropriate for the post.
ciao

Nidhi said...

sure taggy, you are asking me if you can ask me a question?? shoot!

RAINMAKER said...

bachche tuney shayad profile theek sey padha nahi...zyada intellectual search mey mat lag....aur agar gyaan ka itna shauk hai to net pey duusrey bando sey kar