Monday, June 12, 2006

A Talk to remember

I met an old gentleman today while I had gone to the vegetable vendor with my friend to quickly pick up some veggies for the curry being prepared at home. He was wearing a suit, and a cap of the same grey color typical of the northern hilly regions of the country. As I walked to the stall, he caught my attention. He looked very old, but yet his eyes weren't tired, they had a youth in them. He was standing there, smiling, looking at the fresh vegetables when I asked the seller how much the drumsticks cost. As he answered, the old man told him "oh! don't you fool the children. I know these do not cost that much"... Then he turned to me and explained how to identify the good ones from the bad; which ones taste better in the curry... then as if his mind went back to recall the taste, he looked up at the sky and then looked back and said that he loved eating them. He closed his eyes for a few seconds as if to relish the taste in his mind.
He was really enjoying talking to us... and of course, so were we :). As the conversation moved on, he told us he was from Badrinath, which is a famous pilgrimage of India, and from what I've seen on television and read - A very beautiful place and a treat for the senses. He was in the city to celebrate the birth of his great grandchild, and he was 87 years old.
He was quite happy and jolly and he seemed very content with his life. He said he had happily lived his life, and for a longer time than he expected to, and now he wished and prayed for the later generations to live their life fully.
My attention drifted to the vegetables again, and then I asked him what he was there to buy. He threw his hand in the air and said oh nothing! I was just walking past and I saw these lovely karelas (bittergourds). So I thought I'll go have a look at them, and chat a while with the vendor.
It was truly a pleasure talking to him, and my heart was content and I had a smile on my face for a long time after my encounter with him. He asked me what I was studying, and he smiled and said you'll be a 'big' person a few years from now, and that people will look upto me. And I felt happy when he said that. We told him that we had been friends since kindergarten, and he grinned, as if a granddad looking at his grandchildren with pride in his eyes. Then he again told us a little about himself, and that he was taking a stroll across the streets, and that he liked it bst, when he was in places of worship. He was on his way to the vaishnodevi temple a few blocks ahead.
He left me with a lot of blessings and good wishes and a heart full of mirth. It was a treat to meet him; and someday, when I am his age, I hope even I can look back at the years I lived, and smile and be satisfied with the way I lived, and then pass on my wishes and the lessons that I learnt to the generation that will be.
As he was leaving I said 'It was a pleasure meeting you uncle'. And he quickly turned and said 'oh! you're so young, you're like my grandchildren. Don't call me uncle, call me Dadaji (grandpa)' And I smiled and bid Dadaji adieu.
I watched him as he walked on and disappeared from my sight.... and I smiled....


Love,

Devil's own

17 comments:

Panda said...

Hey!! You missed out the old lady we met sometime back… the one who saved us from being run down by the tanker. I still can’t stop smiling the way she was instructing us to walk on the side and not in the middle of the road, the way she told about herself and her blessings as she left.
It sure is a treat to meet such nice people in a world where everyone is in a rush…the contentment on their faces and eyes full of love and affection and not mention the ever overwhelming blessings make me wanna be in their company forever.
You know even I hope that I can be like them when I grow old… be satisfied that I’ve lived a full life and have the same love and enthusiasm even at eighty…
By the way, I so hope we bump in to Dadaji again… after all he does live in the same colony :)

Weltanschauungs said...

How did you manage to get his foto??

aknowkneemoose said...

Nice post! Loved it! :)

At first, I too wondered (just like weltanschauungs did) as to how you snapped an image of Dadaji... (well, if at all the image was that of Dadaji's, then the simple explanation would be a camera phone, assuming you possess one :p) The words in the post are a bit misleading. It should have been 'I met an old gentleman today...', because the image that's part of the post isn't that of Dadaji's, is it? The image isn't Dadaji's, if like you say, he was waering a suit, and a cap... since the person in the image is wearing neither a suit nor a cap!

Weltanschauungs: pay attention to the details, for thou shalt find thy maker in them ;)

aknowkneemoose said...

...also, the name of the post is good too! A play on the name of a movie :)

Nidhi said...

Hey sups!
Yes, of course... the lady was also someone I was very glad to meet. I'm always glad to run into and have a little chat with these people. Seriously, even I was thinking so when he was walking away, that i wish i get to meet him again :)
let's see where we land up if at all we do reach his age :)

Hey welts!
hahhahah.... oh man! is that all you had to say abt the post? this isn't his picture... i found this somewhere on the net and thought it pretty much goes with the post... esp with the carrots and all :).

Hey moose!
Thanks!!! :)
hahahha... yeah, actually after i posted it even i thought i should change 'this' to 'an', but then dint.

moose and welts, forgive me for the misleading language :). I have corrected it now.. hope there are no more mistakes... if there are, do tell me

Sigh... how i wish... but nope... i do not have a camera phone :(

but good observation moose!

You know, my friend remarked once... God lies in detail - so when working with details.. you go ahead and lie too! :D hahahah

Thanks :)... this was the first title that came to my mind, and i decided to keep it :D

Feels good to be blogging again after a long time :)... thanks for your comments guys

Regards,

Devil's own

Nidhi said...

and yes! moose.....
for god's sake, stop pointing out spelling mistakes atleast here!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

btw, i did correct the spelling of wearing!

:)

Rohit Mahajan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rohit Mahajan said...

well, came here to comment something innocently, but after reading the furore on camera cellphones and incorrect grammer, kinda lost the tempo, but still lemme attempt-

Nidhi, some events that happen in our life are sweetly touching and we get lost in the feeling which comes with them. Its the innocence that touches us, the unawareness of life's nuances in children, and the summary of life in the old ones. Such acquaintances are blessed moments :)

aknowkneemoose said...

FYI, I didn't point out the spelling mistake, though I did observe it. I knew you'd ask me not to point out any. I just quoted you verbatim to point out the fact that the old dude in the image was not wearing a suit like you claim the dadaji you met did, that's all.

Also, the quote is God is in the details. Who's this friend? Couldn't be me. Or is it? :p

aknowkneemoose said...

...and Rohit, well, you shouldn't have let the other comments influence you... or perhaps Heisenberg has struck again! :P

aknowkneemoose said...

...and Ms Devil, the joke about the details was pretty funny, yes :D

(man I better stop commenting and get back to work! :P)

Nidhi said...

Hahaha.. yeah, i understand rohit! :)

hmmm... exactly... it is these little things that teach you more, that are more precious than the biggest celebrations and benchmarks in life. these are very valuable... even if after sometime you forget these, you might have not been thinking in the same manner, or might not have the same compassion and knowledge as you gain from these :)
thanks for the comment, and thanks for reading my blog :)

Nidhi said...

hey moose!
yeah yeah, right.. you were just quoting me! :) hahahah
nope, the comment was made by rainmaker:)

moose, the comments didnt influence rohit... he just got lost somewhere in them while reading all that abt the pic and the grammar and stuff.. he has made a perfectly nice comment!
heisenberg has struck again?!

i know the joke was pretty funny:) hahah.. and that's why it hardly matters wht the original quote was.

hahah, thanks for spending such a lot of time on commenting on my blog moose!

Rohit Mahajan said...

oh i never knew i could be a topic of discussion too, not at all in a comment book :D

well moose, that line was to add fun. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously :p *know i suck ay humour* :D nevertheless, heisenberg? uncertainity? dude?

nidhi, hmmmm... thats exactly what i feel, u might foget them, but u know some time later, when the time is rite, these memories would come back to u and bring a smile on ur face :) God Bless!

aknowkneemoose said...

About the Heisenberg stuff... though I wrote only a single line, to explain, it would take me an entire post to explain what I meant. If you read The Lost World by Michael Chrichton, it'll probably make sense. Ah well... discussion's become totally tangential.

Sam said...

Very beautifully written...

Quite often, few very small things and events in the course of life leave a big impact on us... After reading this post and experience of urs, I felt happy from within, not becoz this incident occurred in ur life, but becoz it made me realise how certain obscure and seemingly miniscule things can bring so much happiness and satisfaction to someone's frame of mind...

very good choice of words there, Devil's Own... keep up the good work.

Love, Peace n' Harmony.

Nidhi said...

hey outlaw!
thanks for yr comment:)
m glad u liked the post
exactly.. that is wht my post is abt.. abt the impact of such little incidents
thanks for the appreciation :)
keep posted

Regards,

Devil's own