Friday, August 04, 2006

Torn

They looked at the chocolate with denuded eyes as I held it in my hand and fiddled with the wrapper. They stood there and kept looking. I couldn't make myself eat it after catching a glance of the stripped naked yearning in their eyes. The girl must have been 6 and her little brother - 3. I turned and walked towards them.. as I reached near, they looked scared.. scared that I might yell at them, or shoo them away. I sat on my knees as I reached them and asked them if they'd like to have the chocolate... no reaction... wrong question.. they were scared and now puzzled. I held her tightly clenched fist and tried to open it.. she loosened her grip and let me.. i kept the chocolate there.. and a faint smile appeared on her face... for just about a nanosecond.. but somehow i managed to see it. She held her brother's hand and lifted it up for me to keep the chocolate there... i did as she desired and walked away.. I turned after walking a little distance and turned.. they were still there.. standing still... then she helped him unwrap the chocolate, divided it into two parts and gave the bigger share to her brother. They smiled and looked at each other as they ate it. They looked up at me again... too skeptical to smile.











Regards,

Devil's own

4 comments:

Sam said...

hmmmm... i'm sure that after this episode u must've felt some kind of inner happiness... i've been in such a situation once... felt happy then, feel happy now...

Nidhi said...

You know outlaw, actually, i'm not sure what that feeling was. I felt bad for them, i felt guilty that there were certain things that i take for granted but which are far beyond reach of those children, I felt torn that they were too scared even to smile.. too unsure of my intentions.. but yes, with all these feelings there was a satisfaction of some kind.
:)

Regards,

Devil's Own

Weltanschauungs said...

That is true.. We do take a lot for granted... And yes, although I've never really been in such a similar situation, I can imagine the feeling...

Nidhi said...

:)
and i can hardly put it in words:)

Regards,

Devil's own