Thursday, September 10, 2009

Return of the Insomniac

I need sleep.

I am not getting any.

I'm attempting to bore myself to sleep by writing nonsensical and/or incoherent information here.

I thought I had successfully overcome my long running insomnia. I don't know when it appeared again. But it has been around for some weeks now.

As I ramble on about not getting sleep (instead of switching off the lights, getting into the bed and actually trying to sleep), realization strikes - I have less than 4 hours left to catch up on my sleep before the despised doorbell starts ringing with the calls of the milkman, newspaper, housemaid and the cleaning lady as they start paying their daily visits. You might think I can ignore the doorbell and carry on sleeping - since anyone would probably ring a couple of times and leave. I wish! I've tried using that tactic a couple of times (very unsuccessfully) when I've felt the need for some extra hours of my therapeutic beauty sleep (or when I've spent the whole night awake again).

Out of these daily visitors, the housemaid seems to have consecrated the mornings to making sure we're all up (and very very grumpy). If you don't open the door within 2 rings of the doorbell; oh Good Lord, she bangs her fists on the door with incomprehensible draconian fury which has the capability to scare the living daylights out of a comatose person too!!! You can't help it! All you can do is jump out of the bed, run (to the door) for your life and let the woman in!

She makes as much noise as can possibly be made with whatever weapons are available to her - vessels, the broom, her very annoying vocal chords, and loud thumping of the floor with her feet with every step she takes while she walks around the house (I've got not clue how she's got so good at that!). If these indirect measures do not work well enough, she'll scream out our names to ask why a dish is lying where it is and even though it is very visibly dirty - are we sure we want it cleaned up?

(still not sleepy)

So after all this "hoo-haa" you expect the woman to be really detail oriented when it comes to cleaning up and go berserk if even a tiny spec of dust is visible anywhere in the house. Far cry from that!!! She's frustratingly bad!!!! She fails to see a Big Dark Brown Blotch on a Huge White Coffee Mug!

(Okay I'm beginning to sound very grumpy. Good Sign. But I still am not sleepy. :| )

Good thing the insomnia got me back to the blog though.

I think I'll make a move and try to get at least two hours of sleep.

Will be back! (soon)

Love,
Devil's own

12 comments:

GajabKhopdi said...

At least you are able to understand what ur housemaid says......
I used to have a similar housemaid in Chennai and she din't know any language other than Tamil....had a really tough time with her...

Nidhi said...

Hey Shashank!
Yeah, the language I can - but the pitch I can't. Uff! Lol... That must have been nightmarish. But the bright side is, since you are not going to understand her, you don't even need to pay attention to what she's saying! Heheh...

Karan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karan said...

Finally you are back !! :)

I must say, you have a very LOYAL group of house helpers !! :P They just dont want to leave without finishing their job. At our home, if we don't open the door in time, the milkman simply leaves the milk bag on the FLOOR !!

"she bangs her fists on the door with incomprehensible draconian fury which has the capability to scare the living daylights out of a comatose person too!!!" LMAO..!! what an emphatic choice of words !! :P

real fun post Nidhi. :) I hope the insomniac phase ends soon. :)

Take care..

PS - loved the labels of the post !! :P

Nidhi said...

Hi Karan!

Yes I am! and hope to hang around this time! :)

LOL, you're lucky if they aren't as loyal as mine!

Heheh, thank you for the appreciation, I am glad you had fun reading it! (although believe me it is no fun to bear with all that)

Labels! well thank you again! :D

Keep posted,
Devil's own

Stupidosaur said...

I don't have a cleaning lady. Though the appalled landlord asks me to keep one.

But I don't mind cribbing of the landlord as long as I can sleep till 12 noon on weekends ;)

Nidhi said...

Hey Stupidosaur!

Interesting pseudo! :D
Hahaha.. well good for you as long as you can do without one! In my case, I just can't do without a househelp around everyday.. tend to start feeling like Monica if she skips work!

See you around! :)

Unknown said...

Watch the movie: A Dream for an Insomniac, it fits you. But a cleaning lady? I am my own cleaning lady!

windrago said...

what you should not do when insomnia shows up:
use a computer
watch tv

what worked for me is
back flowers, in the specific star of bethlehem.
A few drops during the day. I never been in the super healthy biz but I must say that against my skeptics that thing worked like a charm.

The Crocodile said...

Insomnia...now that is bad...
2 hours of sleep is that all that you had?

A day has 24 hours or so it may seem.
But I guess that ain't enough to sleep or to dream.

The truth is that you don't know what you are looking for.
Comfortably numb and wandering around but you know that out there there is something more.

You call yourself The Devils Own
You may even say "Hell - it feels like home"
May be there is an answer out there
and I hope you get it soon
If you wanna have a conversation "I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"


I relly like your writing style so I thought I'd leave a comment.

Cheers

Pink-Spotted Scrunch. said...

Today is one of those nights for me!I'm sipping on some sulaimani chai and pouring over your blog and guess what the TV is on mute(I feel more normal after reading your post about that!). Love your style,it flows so effortlessly!Shall come back for more soon.Keep at it girl!:D

Nidhi said...

@Sonny - A reply a little too late I guuess! Sorry about that. Now that you recommend, I would definitely watch it. I am curious. Haha, well.. in India most of us do have housemaids. We don't vacuum our houses, we mop em! everyday! We don't have dishwashers, we handwash them.. most people in india handwash clothes too.. hence the popularity of housemaids. :)


@Amok - I hear you! Theoretically, I completely agree and understand, although when it comes to practical application, I find myself being challenged. Hehe.. and tonight I am doing it too. TV, computer, tea - all at once! :)

@The Crocodile - Yeah, happens with me all the time. I don't know what I am looking for? I don't think I am looking for anything, and even if I am - I don't think I'll find it staying up. :) So even though Matrix is one of my all time favs, I don't necessarily think I am Neo. Heheh.. Thanks for the kind comments, and thanks for dropping by! :)

@ A Peripatetic Mind - Woww!! I am so glad to run into you!! (virtually though!) :D Gueess what, as I read your comment and as I write back right now - I too am sipping on tea (earl grey though ;)), and tippy tappying on the keyboard, and the TV is very much on - and on mute! Oh, you mention suleimani chai and you brought back nice memories of Prithvi cafe in Juhu, Mumbai. I found myself there every other day when I lived there. Part of my heart would always remain in mumbai! Thank you so much for the encouraging comments, and thank you once again for dropping by! :)