Monday, March 13, 2006

Lip Service

It is so convenient to keep people content and satisfied by being diplomatic. Express agreement on whatever they have to say with or without actual conviction. Really, it doesn’t take much to keep people happy and maintain good relations with them, just in case you might need them later! All it takes is lack of dignity, self respect and a few more similar virtues. Of course, I understand there are sometimes when you just have to be a diplomatist, and there have been times in my life too when I should have and could have just smiled and nodded and excused myself from situations I would rather not have been in. But I guess I am too stubborn to compromise on my self respect. So, I just have to go ahead and say what I actually think and get myself in a mess. But at least I am not ashamed of myself then. I have been true to myself. Hypocrisy prevails. I guess a lot of people would think that why should I make an issue out of that. Everybody keeps everybody happy, and moves on. I really don’t know why, but when someone does that with me it frustrates me. I just cannot play along. I feel like screaming and shaking the person and telling him why can’t you just be yourself? Why do you have to be so fake? Just go ahead and do what you want, say what you want. Disagree with me; tell me you think I am wrong. I am not a 450 pound sumo wrestler, I will not kill you. Maybe we would end up arguing. But would you not feel lighter once you have spoken your mind? Stood up for what you believe in? If you are not answerable to me, it is fine. Tell me you do not feel the need to explain your actions to me. For heaven’s sake don’t try to win everybody’s vote. At least not by being so fake. Get a grip. Accept that there will be people who do not agree with you. Ah, what a perfect world it would have been if everyone thought alike, and everyone agreed with each other on everything. But that is not the reality. People have different point of views. Be strong enough to face conflicts, difference of opinions, disagreement and contradictions. It is okay if everyone who knows you does not praise you. You’ll be respected for standing up for your beliefs. People will not tell you they respect you. But be true to yourself, they will; even if they dislike you. And may be there are people who do not even respect you, but wouldn’t you be able to respect yourself? Why the hell is the need to go out of your way to make people think you are something that you are not? God! I don’t know what all I am blabbering. I probably have been repeating the same thing in the whole post.

I do not think you need to tell everyone exactly what is going on in your mind. But how can you not be true to yourself, leave alone other people? I for one will actually end up in a serious identity crisis if I try maintaining different identities when with different people. It is okay with me if there are people who dislike me, and contradict me. At least the people who do like me, like me for who I really am. I do not have to put up masks. If people dislike me, they dislike my actual self, and if they like me, they like the real me. This has always been an issue with me. For me to like anyone, the person should not be fake. Be what you want to be. Scream, shout, cry, dance around, be foolish, be egoistic, dance around, laugh out loud, succeed, fail whatever. Just be who you are, and I will respect you. Don’t try to be someone you are not, don’t try to imitate anyone. Everyone is special in their own way.

Be subtle in your ways. Don’t be too harsh on anyone, don’t be too rude, and don’t hurt anyone. If there are times you have to, you cannot help it – go ahead. You are not expected to be a saint. But stand up for what you believe in. have faith in yourself. If you can do something, you can. You do not have to prove yourself for every other person. When you have to, you know you just have to.


People I am not trying to preach. Forgive me if I sound that way. I have used ‘you’ everywhere, but I am kind of thinking out loud here. I can never have a career in politics! :)

Regards,

Devil's own


7 comments:

Unknown said...

My God, but you can rant and rave, but somehow it seems to make sense. If a person can't be real to others, how then can they be real with themselves?

Nidhi said...

Hey sonny,
exactly, i feel this void in me if i have to pretend to be something that i am not. It is way too important to me to be real.
Regards,
Devil's own

Jay said...

Hmm, interesting!

Also, I agree, U wont have a career in Politics!

Nidhi said...

Hi Jay!
Man! now even the little hope that remained of being able to pursue my career and be the president is gone! ;)
haha
Regards,
Devil's Own

Aparna Mudi said...

well thanks for reading up my post and commenting..i had lost ur link....after my comp decided to crash on me....and well just writing down ur link in my journal...that ways chances of losing it is like minimalised to '0'
and well as far as diplomacy is concerned...
well i sometimes get into the same kinda mess.and wel u know wat follows...

aknowkneemoose said...

I got a suggestion for you, Devil's Own. Why don't you change the settings such that the comments section opens up in a new popup window, instead of in the same page? Makes it much easier for the reader.

aknowkneemoose said...

much MORE easier. I'm LOSING it!
*bawl, bawl, bawl*