Monday, March 13, 2006

The monk who had nothing better to do

I read Ernest Hemingway’s Old man and the sea. Nice book, I mean not bad. It is just a 100 page book, but still is a bit slow. The moral of the story is pretty good too. How difficult a problem is depends upon how you see it. But I failed to understand why the author was honored with a Nobel Prize for literature for this book. Perhaps, he was given the Nobel Prize for his entire works. If that is so, then I cannot comment, as this is the only work of his that I have read. Actually, come to think of it, most award winning novels are not very impressive. I mean impressive to me. I begin thinking what exactly are their criteria for a book qualifying for a booker or a Nobel or something? Who in the world judges these books?

The most talked about books generally turn out to be disasters.
I had wanted to read The Monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma for so long. I picked up the book yesterday and it was a big disappointment. According to the back cover of the book, the author is one of North America’s most electrifying speakers… well, I was electrified alright!! I didn’t even have the patience to just browse through the whole book. It was way too boring. The author being an Indian had just tried to sell India in the book, and has topped it with enormous helpings of things like spirituality and the like. It is a mystic land, sages and the blah. I cannot say about the whole book, because I couldn’t survive even a quarter of it. But at least in the initial chapters it has just glorified India. I wouldn’t have had any problem with that had the story been even a little more interesting. I thought it wouldn’t be just another self help book. Every third person I met had loved the book. But I really don’t understand why. This hot shot lawyer is obsessed with his work, running after glory and pride, disastrous personal life, divorced blah blah. Gets a heart attack in the middle of a trial, decides to abandon everything and try to get in touch with nature, decides to go to India, finds mysterious sages and starts living with them. He is the first to be able to find those sages in ages, as if he is the one they were waiting for to pass on their wisdom. The sages give him seven tips/advices/pointers/whatever to Get a Life (!), he promises to return to his world and spread the wisdom. Comes back a better person – lost all extra pounds, glow on his face, cheerful, no stress and stuff, and begins to pass on the wisdom to his colleague and that is where I lost patience and stopped reading it. What crap!

Regards,

Devil's own

6 comments:

aknowkneemoose said...

The story reminds me of 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence'

However, the story of ZAMM is a bit different. I didn't finish reading the book (only a few pages were left, btw, not like the other books which I have, of late, read only half-way through!), but then the protagonist (kinda based on the author's own life, actually) refusese to accept the stuff put forward by the Sadhus... and leaves Varanasi...

Also... the book has nothing to do with motorcycle maintenence, except that the author travels a lot on his bike.

Unknown said...

When I think of reading an obscure book, I am sometimes tempted to wait until it comes out on film. That way I can be really dissapointed, like when Roman Polanski did the Book to Movie version of "Tess." Boring!!! However, the Harry Potter books make much better films then literature. It is said that a person who is well traveled is much better educated then a person who is well read...I think I'll go on a road trip then, this coming weekend!

Nidhi said...

Hey aknowkneemoose! (happy now?)

I havent read the book, but i am sure its way more sensible that tmwshf :), try reading the book, and do tell me what u think

Hey sonny

hmm.. travelling is something i love too!! So i guess you and me are going to end up being really very educated and wise eh? ;)
Havent read a single Harry Potter book, havent watched all of the movies.
Hey, did u read that Al Ries book yet?

Regards,
Nidhi

Jay said...

Is it? lemme check that then!

Nidhi said...

Hey Jay,
So you're gonna read it? well, go ahead! haha, let me know how you like it
Regards,
Nidhi

RAINMAKER said...

Moose...sorry to point it out..but zamm doesn't have any sadhus and just has phaedrus. And its a lot better book than monk.
I agree that MONK is crap.

Devil:- the Author is Canadian born Indian. That's as close to US as he gets.